Minutes of the Meetings of the International Board during the XXXVI International Physics Olympiad in Salamanca (Spain) July 3 - 12, 2005
1. The following 72 countries were present at the 36th International Olympiad:
(*) - new countries
invited by the Organizing Committee to the Olympiads this year.
In addition, three
countries were represented by observers: Ecuador, Japan and Tajikistan
In addition, three countries were represented by observers: Ecuador, Japan and Tajikistan
The best score (49,5 points) was achieved ex aequo by Gabor Halasz from Hungary and by Ying-Hsuan Lin (Taiwan) They have won the title "Absolute Winner" of the 36th IPhO). The following limits for awarding the medals and the honourable mention were established according to the Statutes:
|Gold Medal||45 points|
According to the limits 46 Gold Medals, 26 Silver Medals, 63 Bronze Medals and 92 Honourable Mentions were awarded. The list of the scores of the winners and the students awarded with honourable mentions were distributed to all the delegations.
5. During grading the students solutions the local graders consulted some problems concerning interpretation of the criteria etc. with the following three leaders designated to this work by the International Board: Prof. Jan Mostowski (Poland), Dr. Eli Raz (Israel) and Prof. Ming-Juey Lin (Taiwan).
6. For lack of time the International Board was not able to discuss two proposals of changes in the Statutes. One of them (by Dr. Olsen Malte) referred to the way of formulating the experimental problems. The second one (by Dr. Waldemar Gorzkowski) referred to the problem of inviting new countries to the competition. The International Board decided to postpone consideration of these proposals to the next Olympiad.
7. President of the IPhOs informed the International Board that Prof. Osral Demokan (Turkey), many years Member of the International Board, was perished in a car accident, and reminded his exceptional merits for the International Physics Olympiads. The International Board commemorated Prof. Ordal Demokan with the Minute of Silence.
8. President of the IPhOs presented a table with the future organizers of the IPhOs. At present the nearest "free year" is 2023.
9. Prof. Sguyan Xu (Singapore) informed the International Board about present state of preparation of the 37th International Physics Olympiad in 2006. The Iranian delegates informed the International Board about present state concerning the IPhO 2007. Printed materials about both Olympiads were disseminated to all the delegations.
10. President of the IPhOs, acting on behalf of all the participants, expressed deep thanks to Prof. Dr. Angela Calvo (Chairwoman of the Organizing Committee), Dr.Juan Leon (Chairman of the Academic Committee), Prof. Dr. Jose L. Segovia (Organizing Committee), Dr. Jaime Julve (Academic Committee) and other formal or informal Members of the Organizing Committee for perfect preparation and execution of the 36th International Physics Olympiad. Deep thanks were conveyed also to the top authorities of Salamanca and of the country, all the sponsors, graders, guides and other people who contributed to the success of the Olympiad.
At the end of the Olympiad, acting on behalf of the organizers of the next International Physics
Olympiad, Prof. Dr. Shuyan Xu (Singapore) announced that the 37 thInternational Physics
Olympiad will be organized in his country on July 8th - 17th, 2006 and cordially invited all the participating countries
to attend the competition.
Dr. Juan Leon
Chairman of the
Prof. Dr. Angelo Calvo
Chairwoman of the
Dr. Waldemar Gorzkowski
President of the IPhOs
Prof. Maija Ahtee
Secretary of the IPhOs
Salamanca, 12 July 2005