Minutes of the Meetings of the International Board during the XXXVII International Physics Olympiad in Singapore July 8 – 17, 2006
1. The following 82 countries were present at the 37 th International Olympiad:
(*) - new countries invited by the Organizing Committee to the Olympiads this year.
In addition, the following three countries were represented by observers:
Myanmar, Nepal and Puerto Rico.
2. Results of marking the papers by the organisers were presented.
The best score (47,20 points) was achieved by Mailoa Jonathan Pradana from Indonesia (Absolute winner of the 37th IPhO). The following limits for awarding the medals and the honourable mention were established according to the Statutes:
|Gold Medal||37 points|
According to the limits 37 Gold Medals, 49 Silver Medals, 82 Bronze Medals and 81 Honourable Mentions were awarded. The list of the scores of the winners and the students awarded with honourable mentions were distributed to all the delegations in the digital form.
5. Dr. The International Board discussed three proposals of changing the Statutes. (The texts of all the proposals were disseminated to all more than three months in advance).
a. The first one, formulated by Dr. Olsen Malte (Denmark), referred to the way of formulating the experimental problems. This proposal was rejected. Voting: total number of Members of the International Board - 156; required qualified 2/3 majority of votes - 104; number of votes in favour - 95.
b. The second one, formulated by Prof. Jan Mostowski (Poland), referred to the awarding system Also this proposal was rejected. Voting: total number of Members of the International Board - 156; required qualified 2/3 majority of votes - 104; number of votes in favour – 52.
c. The third proposal, formulated by Dr. Waldemar Gorzkowski (the president of the IPhOs), referred to the problem of inviting new countries to the competition. This proposal was accepted. Voting: total number of Members of the International Board - 156; required qualified 2/3 majority of votes - 104; number of votes in favour – 110. In consequence, the following sentences were added at the end of the first paragraph in #2 of the Statutes, i.e. immediately after the sentence: “Additionally, it has the right to invite other countries.”:
"The list of such new countries must be presented to Secretariat of the IPhOs (# 8) at least six months prior to the competition. Within two months the Secretariat has the right to remove, after consultations with the Advisory Committee (# 8), from the suggested list the teams that in opinion of Secretariat or Advisory Committee do not meet the criteria of participation in the IPhOs. The new countries not accepted by the Secretariat or Advisory Committee may, however, participate as "guest teams" but such participation does not create any commitments with respect to inviting these countries to the next competition(s).”
6. The number of the Members of the International Board is permanently increasing: this year the International Board consisted of 156 persons. To make the discussion on the competition problems and their acceptance easier, the International Board tested the following procedure (suggested by Prof. Jan Mostowski): after dissemination of the text of a problem and short discussion a subcommittee consisting of the most active debaters is created. The subcommittee prepares an improved version of the text of the problem (by taking remarks expressed during the preliminary discussion into account). Later the International Board considers only the improved version. First application of this procedure was successful.
7. President of the IPhOs, acting on behalf of all the participants, expressed deep thanks to Prof. Shuyan Xu (Chairman of the Organizing Committee) and all other Members of the Organizing and Academic Committees for perfect preparation and execution of the 37th International Physics Olympiad. Deep thanks were conveyed also to the top authorities of Singapore, all the sponsors, graders, guides and other people who contributed to the success of the Olympiad.
8. The Iranian delegates disseminated printed materials about the IPhO 2007 to all the delegations and described present state of the preparatory works to ensure smooth organization of the next Olympiad.
9. At the end of the Olympiad, acting on behalf of the
organizers of the next International Physics Olympiad, Dr. Mohammad Sepehri Rad (Iran) announced that the 38thInternational
Physics Olympiad will be organized in his country on July 13th – 21st 2007 and cordially invited all the participating countries to
attend the competition.
Dr. Waldemar Gorzkowski
President of the IPhOs
Prof. Maija Ahtee
Secretary of the IPhOs
Prof. Shuyan Xu
Chairman of the Organizing Committee
Singapore, July 2006