Who is an exchange student?

Exchange students

You can be regarded as an exchange student applicant if

  • there is a valid student exchange agreement between your home university and the University of Jyväskylä
  • your home university has nominated you to study at the University of Jyväskylä

Please contact your home university to find out if an exchange agreement exists between your home university and the University of Jyväskylä. If it does and your home university nominates you to study at our university, please apply for admission no later than 15 May (for the academic year/autumn semester) or 1 November (for the spring semester) using an online application for admission.

Studies completed at the University of Jyväskylä will be transfered to your home university degree. Remember to discuss the credit transfer with your home university.

Visiting doctoral students

Doctoral students whose home universities do not have a cooperation agreement with the University of Jyväskylä can apply to the University of Jyväskylä as so called visiting doctoral students. Visiting doctoral students can be admitted for a minimum of three months and a maximum of one academic year. In order to apply to the University of Jyväskylä as a visiting doctoral student, the applicant must be enrolled in a university outside Finland.

Starting from the academic year 2018-2019, it is no longer possible to apply to the University of Jyväskylä as a bachelor's or master's level visiting student.

How to apply

  • Contact a faculty-level international coordinator at JYU in order to find an academic supervisor for the duration of your stay at JYU. If you already have an academic supervisor at JYU, you can proceed to filling in the online application.
  • Complete an online application. The application period for the academic year 2019-2020 begins in January. In order to finalize your application, please complete these steps by the application deadline:
    • Register to Mobility-Online using a link which you will receive after having completed the online application.
    • Enter Mobility-Online and complete your personal data by clicking the link "Complete personal data".
    • Upload a certificate of your doctoral student status at your home university (preferably in English) into Mobility-Online in order to finalize the application. The document must be signed and stamped by a university official. Please note that your application cannot be processed without the certificate.

Application deadlines for admission

  • 2 May 2019 for the autumn semester 2019 or the academic year 2019-2020
  • 1 October 2019 for the spring semester 2020

After your application is complete, it will be processed by the faculty in question. You will be notified of the decision of the faculty as soon the application has been processed. Please do not make any travel reservations before this.