Residence permit and visa

Residence permit: EU and EEA citizens

  • Citizens of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland) do not need a residence permit. If their stay lasts longer than three months, they must register their right to reside in Finland at a Local Register Office.
  • Other European Union citizens (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and United Kingdom) and citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need a residence permit, but they must register their right to reside in Finland if their continuous stay lasts for longer than three months. The three months of residence are always counted from the time you were last outside Finland. You can register your right of residence at the service points of the Finnish Immigration Service, Migri. The closest service points are located in Kuopio and Tampere. >> Further instructions

Documents needed when registering

  • Registration application
  • valid passport or national proof of identity
  • certificate of your registration at the University of Jyväskylä
  • account on the applicant's means of support
  • proof of adequate health insurance cover (European Health Insurance Card)

The registration fee is 54 € for citizens of the EU and EEA countries.

Residence permit: other nationalities

Citizens of non-EU or non-EEA countries who wish to stay in Finland for more than three months must be in possession of a residence permit when entering the country. Please apply for a residence permit as soon as you have received a Letter of Admission from us and accepted your study place. The residence permit application of students who are required to pay tuition fees will be fully processed only after the tuition fee of the first academic year has been paid. 

Submit your residence permit application electronically at Applying electronically is the fastest way to get the decision to your application. It is also possible to submit an application in paper form to a Finnish embassy. All students must visit a Finnish embassy in person to have their fingerprints collected. No exceptions are made, even if you submitted your application electronically. Your application will not be processed before you have visited the embassy and paid the processing fee.

Further information on the application process and the application forms can be found at

Documents required for the residence permit application

  • letter of admission
  • details of comprehensive health insurance cover (with a reliable and solvent company or institution)
  • proof of means of support
  • If necessary, a statement of the applicant’s previous studies and language skills
  • For tuition-paying students: receipt of the payment of the tuition fee for the first academic year

The applicant must remain abroad while waiting for the decision on the residence permit application. The residence permit is issued by the Finnish Immigration Service which receives the application from the Finnish Embassy or Consulate.

In order to obtain a residence permit to study in Finland, international students, including those participating in an entrance examination, must show that their income is secured during the academic year. They must be able to prove that they have at their disposal at least EUR 6720 for a year. Students sponsored by an organisation require a certificate of acceptance from the organisation to be enclosed with the residence permit application.

The first residence permit for studies costs 360 € (application on paper) / 300 € (electronic application).

Extending the residence permit

A residence permit for study obtained before coming to Finland is usually valid for one or two years. After this, the permit can be extended usually for one year at a time. Please note that you need to submit your application for the extension before the validity of your current permit expires. To obtain a new residence permit, a bank statement of the required funds (€ 560 per month or € 6720 per year) is required. Also a transcript of studies has to be enclosed with the residence permit application form. An extension of the permit requires that the student is still registered at the educational institution, is a full-time student and has completed the required courses in the institution’s study programme. If the student has poor study performance, an extension of the residence permit may be denied. You can apply for the extension online or by filling in a paper form which you can get from one of the service points of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). Even if you submit an online application, you need to visit one of the service points to prove your identity. The nearest service points to Jyväskylä are in Tampere and Kuopio. Please see Migri's website for additional information on extending your permit. 

Non-EU or non-EEA citizens studying in an EU or EEA country

Citizens of non-EU or non-EEA country who study in an EU or EEA country as a degree students and wish to carry out part of their studies in Finland, should have a valid residence permit in the country where they study as a degree student. In addition, a mobility notification should be submitted to the Finnish Immigration Service. Please see Migri's website for additional information on mobility notification.


Students from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) countries do not need a visa to enter the country. If you are a citizen of any other country and stay in Finland for less than three months you must apply for a visa at the nearest Finnish Embassy or Consulate. Please check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland for further information on the visa requirements and on how to apply.