How do I contact you?

Our email is childhood2018@jyu.fi

Can I get a travel grant?

Unfortunately, the  organizers of the conference cannot provide participants with traveling grants.

When will I know if my proposal has been accepted?

We will let delegates know whether their proposal has been accepted by February 28, 2018.

What’s the currency in Finland and can I use my credit card?

The currency in Finland is the Euro (EUR). Most shops, restaurants and hotels accept credit cards. Visa and MasterCard are the most widely accepted. Most banks have ATMs where you can access your debit or credit account.

Will the lunches be provided?

The conference fee covers refreshments during breaks (including tea, coffee, water and some snacks) as well as the evening reception on Monday. The participants buy their own lunches. The lunch at the university campus usually costs under 10 euros.

Is the Conference Dinner included in the conference fee?

The conference fee does not include the Conference Dinner.

What are the electrical plugs like?

220 volts/50Hz. Plugs are 2 pronged and rounded. Bring an adapter for your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Mainland Europe’s plugs are mostly the same except for the UK's which are 3 pronged and flat.

What is the weather going to be like in May?

In May the average temperature in Jyväskylä is 9 Celsius (48 Fahrenheit). The weather can be a bit unpredictable and rainy.

What is the official language of the conference?

The official language of the conference is English.

If I am presenting at the conference, do I have to pay the conference fee?

Yes, all attendees, whether presenting or not, are required to pay the conference fees. If you book before April 8, you will benefit from Early Bird Booking rates, and some people may be able to access Finnish Society for Childhood Studies  member discount or BIN member discount.

Can I cancel my registration and will the fee be refunded?

If one wants to cancel ones registration, it must be done before April 7, 2018 (one month before the conference). A 50 Euro processing fee will be charged but rest of the fee will be refunded. Cancellations after April 7 will not be refunded.


How do I get a visa for the conference?

Finnish Embassy or Consulate in your country will provide further information regarding this. Please visit their website(s) for details.

Do I need a visa to attend the conference?

Everyone entering to Finland must have a valid passport, or in the case of European Union Member States, a national identity card. Visas are required for some countries. Delegates should check their requirement by visiting the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

How can I obtain an invitation letter to support my visa application?

Should you require a letter of invitation to support any visa application, we will provide this to anyone who has paid the conference participation fee or has submitted and have had his/her presentation accepted for the conference. To obtain your letter of invitation please email childhood2018@jyu.fi

with the following:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Affiliation
  • Address
  • Nationality
  • Passport number
  • Dates of travel to Finland
  • Title(s) of paper(s) submitted and/or conference booking number

Please note that Childhood 2018 conference, nor any of its partners, does not accept any responsibility for any financial loss relating to inability of an individual to obtain the requisite travel documents.  

Can I present via video link or skype?

Unfortunately not - all presenters must attend the conference and present in person.

Will there be childcare available?

There is a free childcare organized in the campus during the conference. If you are planning to bring with a child who will need childcare, please contact us: childhood2018@jyu.fi