Travel documents


Finland is a member of the Schengen agreement. Winter School students from European Union member states, Nordic countries and countries listed in the list of visa-free states are not required to have visas to visit Finland. However, students should have appropriate travel documents like Passport.

Students from countries requiring a visa should contact the nearest Finnish embassy in good time for visa application procedures. Websites of the Finnish embassies in different countries can be found here. For additional information please visit the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.

The Winter School secretary will send you a letter of acceptance and Visa invitation if it is needed, but we cannot provide you with any assistance in obtaining a passport or visa. Copy your Visa invitation before visiting to Finnish Embassy. Take the copy with you when you are coming to Finland, it can be needed at the frontier crossing point.


The University of Jyväskylä does not insure Winter School participants. Acquiring a medical insurance is recommended for all participants and it is at the participant’s responsibility. Please make sure that you have your own travel insurance when you arrive in Finland. Citizens of EU and EEA countries are covered by the National Health Insurance Scheme administered by the Social Insurance Institution (KELA). To be eligible for these benefits, participants need to bring with them their European Health Insurance Card from the local social security office in their home country. You can also obtain a private insurance in addition to this.

Money exchange

Foreign currency can be exchanged in banks Mon-Fri 10-16.30. Credit cards (Visa, Euro card, MasterCard, Cirrus and EC) can be used to withdraw cash from ATMs displaying the OTTO symbol. ATMs can be found e.g. in Konnevesi center but not at the Konnevesi Research Station.