Free time activities
- Student activities with ESN
- Events in the Jyväskylä region
- Places to visit in Jyväskylä
- Church and religious life
The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) arranges a variety of free time activities and trips for international students (not only Erasmus students). To find out more about their activities, please see the ESN website.
The city of Jyväskylä offers various free time activities. See the current
events in the Jyväskylä region:
Also the university and the student union have their own event calendars:
Exhibitions and art museums:
- Craft Museum of Finland, Kauppakatu 25
- Jyväskylä Art Museum, Kauppakatu 23
- Jyväskylä Centre for Printmaking and Galleria Harmonia, Hannikaisenkatu 39 (opposite the railway station)
- Galleria Mystic, Minna Canthin katu 20 A 4
- Galleria Becker (gallery and art leasing), Seminaarinkatu 2
Ask for a student discount in the museums and galleries! Free admission on Fridays to the Jyväskylä Art Museum, Craft Museum of Finland and Museum of Central Finland.
You can enjoy different types of live music in various clubs, or you can make your own music.
Live music (a variety of music styles) clubs:
- , Kauppakatu 30
- Hemingway's, Kauppakatu 32
- Katse, Väinönkatu 26
- Ilokivi, Keskussairaalantie
- Poppari, Puistokatu 2-4
- Tanssisali Lutakko, Schaumanninkatu 3
Jyväskylä Sinfonia (Jyväskylä City Orchestra) plays regularly in the City Theatre (Vapaudenkatu 36) and in the Taulumäki Church (Lohikoskentie 2). Tickets can be purchased beforehand at Lippupalvelu (SOKOS Department Store, Kauppakatu 24).
Music education for amateurs
- Suomalainen konservatorio (Finnish Conservatory); Pitkäkatu 19-21, Info@suomalainenkonservatorio.fi
- Jyväskylän kansalaisopisto (Adult Education Centre of the City of Jyväskylä); Vapaudenkatu 39-41
- Taidekoulu Artmus (Art School Artmus); Polttolinja 21
- Musiikkikoulu Alkusoitto (Music School Alkusoitto); Puistokatu 2
- Musiikin Do-Re-Mi Ry; Kyllikinkatu 1, tel. (+358) 014 613 731
Orchestras and choirs
- Sinfis (University Symphonic Orchestra)
- Puhkupillit (University wind band)
- Jyväskylä Big Band
- Tulus (gospel choir)
- Jyväskylän naislaulajat (female choir)
- Kamarikuoro Cantinovum (mixed choir)
- Musica (university mixed choir)
- Seminaarimäen nuorisokuoro (Youth Choir of Finnish Conservatory): contact -> email@example.com
The variety of theatre performances on offer in the Jyväskylä region is impressive. In addition to the Municipal Theatre, more than a dozen of amateur drama companies serves audiences of all ages. There are, for example, the following theatres:
- Jyväskylä Municipal Theatre, Vapaudenkatu 36, (student-prices´d tickets available)
- Huoneteatteri, Sammonkatu 4
- Jyväskylän kansannäyttämö (Ullakkoteatteri); Vehkakatu 1
- Jyväskylä University Student Theatre, Student Union Building, Keskussairaalantie 2
- AdAstra, Koskenharjuntie 8
The student prices in theatres vary. Do not hesitate to ask for a discount and always take your student card with you. For information on current programmes, see the local newspapers.
See info on art museums above.
- Museum of Central Finland; Alvar Aallonkatu 7
- Alvar Aalto Museum; Alvar Aallonkatu 7
- Jyväskylä University Museum; Seminaarinkatu 15
- Natural History Museum of Central Finland; Water Tower, Ihantolantie 5, (+358) 014 260 3810
- Computer Museum; Agora Building, Mattilanniemi Campus
- Aviation Museum of Central Finland;Tikkakoskentie 125, Tikkakoski
On Fridays the admission is free in the Museum of Central Finland and Natural History Museum of Central Finland.
Films in Finland are shown in their original language with Finnish and Swedish subtitles. A cinema ticket costs around 9 - 13 euros. You will find the weekly programme in the local newspaper.
- Fantasia, is located in the Jyväskeskus Shopping Centre at Kauppakatu 29-31There is also a small movie
- Kampus Kino, on the main campus in the Student Union Building (Keskussairaalantie 2).
- The majority of Finns are Lutherans. The Evangelical Lutheran Jyväskylä Parish consists of nine areal congregations and has altogether 17 churches in Jyväskylä. The main Church is Taulumäki Church (Lohikoskentie 2), in which Finnish Sunday Services are held every Sunday at 6 pm. Jyväskylä Town Church is located in the Church Park at Kauppakatu and has its Finnish Services every Sunday at 10 am.
- Sunday Services in English are held in the Old Vicarage (Vapaudenkatu 26) every second Sunday at 5 pm. If you would like to get more information on the activities of the congregation, please see the website of Jyväskylä Parish Multicultural Work or join the "Christian Fellowship in Jyväskylä" group on Facebook.
- The Orthodox Church of Resurrection is situated at Rajakatu 39, next to the Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences.
- Saint Olaf's Roman Catholic Church, Yrjönkatu 36
- Mormon Church (Myöhempien aikojen pyhien Jeesuksen Kristuksen kirkko), Sammonkatu 9, tel. (+358) 014 615 274 (not on weekdays)
- Free Church (Vapaaseurakunta), Puutarhakatu 16
- Adventist Church (Adventtikirkko), Ilmarisenkatu 18
- Pentecostal Church (Helluntaiseurakunta), Lyseonkatu 3
- Jyväskylä City Church (Jyväskylän Cityseurakunta), Kauppakatu 1
- Islamic Community of Central Finland, Jyväskylä Mosque, Vaasankatu 4 a
Students' religious groups:
Jyväskylä has two libraries with extensive collections in Finnish and other languages, University Main Library and City Library. In addition, some museums have literature in their own fields. You can use your student card as a library card in the University Main Library. In order to borrow books from the City Library, you need to apply for a library card (bring your ID).
- Jyväskylä City Library, Vapaudenkatu 39-41
- Jyväskylä University Library, Seminaarinmäki campus, building B
Sports and exercise opportunities at the University of Jyväskylä are almost limitless ranging from wall climbing, spinning and snowboarding to the more traditional skiing, aerobics, yoga and various ball games. See more on the website.