Free time activities
Events in the Jyväskylä region
Also the university and the student union have their own event calendars:
Please see the Visit Jyväskylä website for information on museums and galleries, restaurants, cafés, bars and clubs.
Ask for a student discount in the museums and galleries! Free admission on Fridays to the Jyväskylä Art Museum, Craft Museum of Finland, Museum of Central Finland, Alvar Aalto Museum and Natural History Museum of Central Finland.
- Jyväskylän kansalaisopisto (Adult Education Centre of the City of Jyväskylä)
- Jyväskylän musiikkiopisto (Jyväskylä Music School)
- Artmus (music and dance school)
- Musiikkikoulu Alkusoitto (Music School Alkusoitto)
Orchestras and choirs
- Sinfis (University Symphonic Orchestra)
- Puhkupillit (University wind band)
- Jyväskylä Big Band
- Tulus (gospel choir)
- Jyväskylän naislaulajat (female choir)
- Kamarikuoro Cantinovum (mixed choir)
- Musica (university mixed choir)
- Seminaarimäen nuorisokuoro (Youth Choir of Finnish Conservatory): contact -> email@example.com
The variety of theatre performances on offer in the Jyväskylä region is impressive. In addition to the Municipal Theatre, more than a dozen of amateur drama companies serves audiences of all ages. There are, for example, the following theatres:
- Jyväskylä Municipal Theatre, Vapaudenkatu 36, (student-prices´d tickets available)
- Huoneteatteri, Sammonkatu 4
- Jyväskylän kansannäyttämö (Ullakkoteatteri); Vehkakatu 1
- Jyväskylä University Student Theatre, Student Union Building, Keskussairaalantie 2
- AdAstra, Koskenharjuntie 8
The student prices in theatres vary. Do not hesitate to ask for a discount and always take your student card with you. For information on current programmes, see the local newspapers.
Films in Finland are shown in their original language with Finnish and Swedish subtitles. A cinema ticket costs around 9 - 13 euros. You will find the weekly programme in the local newspaper.
- Fantasia, is located in the Jyväskeskus Shopping Centre at Kauppakatu 29-31There is also a small movie
- Kampus Kino, on the main campus in the Student Union Building (Keskussairaalantie 2).
Erasmus Student Network
The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) arranges a variety of free time activities and trips for international students (not only Erasmus students). To find out more about their activities, please see the ESN website.
Subject associations are for students who share a particular subject as a major. The associations organize various free time activities ranging from cultural events to parties and sports events.
Church and religious life
- The majority of Finns are Lutherans. The Evangelical Lutheran Jyväskylä Parish consists of nine areal congregations and has altogether 17 churches in Jyväskylä. The main Church is Taulumäki Church (Lohikoskentie 2), in which Finnish Sunday Services are held every Sunday at 6 pm. Jyväskylä Town Church is located in the Church Park at Kauppakatu and has its Finnish Services every Sunday at 10 am.
- Sunday Services in English are held in the Old Vicarage (Vapaudenkatu 26) every second Sunday at 5 pm. If you would like to get more information on the activities of the congregation, please see the website of Jyväskylä Parish Multicultural Work or join the "Christian Fellowship in Jyväskylä" group on Facebook.
- The Orthodox Church of Resurrection is situated at Rajakatu 39, next to the Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences.
- Saint Olaf's Roman Catholic Church, Yrjönkatu 36
- Mormon Church (Myöhempien aikojen pyhien Jeesuksen Kristuksen kirkko), Sammonkatu 9, tel. (+358) 014 615 274 (not on weekdays)
- Free Church (Vapaaseurakunta), Puutarhakatu 16
- Adventist Church (Adventtikirkko), Ilmarisenkatu 18
- Pentecostal Church (Helluntaiseurakunta), Lyseonkatu 3
- Jyväskylä City Church (Jyväskylän Cityseurakunta), Kauppakatu 1
- Islamic Community of Central Finland, Jyväskylä Mosque, Vaasankatu 4 a
Students' religious groups:
Jyväskylä has two libraries with extensive collections in Finnish and other languages, University Main Library and City Library. In addition, some museums have literature in their own fields. You can use your student card as a library card in the University Main Library. In order to borrow books from the City Library, you need to apply for a library card (bring your ID).
- Jyväskylä City Library, Vapaudenkatu 39-41
- Jyväskylä University Library, Seminaarinmäki campus, building B
Sports and exercise opportunities at the University of Jyväskylä are almost limitless ranging from wall climbing, spinning and snowboarding to the more traditional skiing, aerobics, yoga and various ball games. See more on the website.