Registering the right to reside in Finland

EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of the EU/EEA member states can enter Finland freely without a visa or residence permit. However, if you intend to live and work in Finland for longer than three months (90 days), you should register your right to reside in Finland at the Finnish Immigration Service. For EU citizens, a registered right of residence is valid until further notice and does not require renewing. After residing continuously in Finland for five years, EU citizens are entitled to permanent residence (different from a citizenship).

International Staff Services can make an appointment for you to visit a Finnish Immigration Service point upon your arrival. You can visit any of the service points in Finland. The closest service point to the University of Jyväskylä is in Tampere.

Please note that if you travel abroad within the first 90 days of your stay (before registering your right to reside in Finland), the three-month period will restart after you return to Finland. In this case, please remember to save all your travel documents. 

Nordic citizens

Citizens of the Nordic countries do not need to register their right to reside in Finland at the Finnish Immigration Service. However , if they stay in Finland for more than six months, they must register at a Local Register Office (maistraatti).

However, the registration is recommended already in the beginning of the employment, so that the Finnish personal identity code can be applied and the notification of move submitted.

Non-EU citizens

If you come from a non-EU country and have a valid residence permit, you do not need to register at the Finnish Immigration Service. You can start the registration formalities from the Local Register office.

More information:

EU and Nordic citizens (Finnish Immigration Service)