Registration at the Local Register Office (maistraatti)



If you are a foreign citizen and move to Finland on a permanent basis, you will be registered in the Finnish Population Information System if the other requirements for entry into the register are met. If you move to Finland only for a short period of time, you can be registered if this is deemed necessary.

The registration will be done in person at the local Register Office "Maistraatti" by filling in the form "The Registration Information of a Foreigner". If your whole family is registered, all family members must be present in person. Please fill in the Application forms in advance.

The register data will be entered in the Population Information System (väestörekisteri). The data includes, for example, name, date of birth, nationality, family status and address. The data is used for various purposes (e.g. elections, taxation, health care, judicial administration and statistical purposes).

To register you will need the following documents:

  • A valid passport or an official photo identification card of an EU citizen
  • A residence permit card or other proof of lawful residence in Finland
  • The registration certificate of the right of residence of an EU citizen if you have moved to live in Finland and you want to have a place of residence registered
  • A certificate of employment/grant or studies performed in Finland (e.g. an employment contract or a certificate of enrolment issued by an educational institution)
  • In case of family, legalised and translated birth certificates, marital status, marriage certificates
  • Original documents issued by foreign authoriteis must be legalised

Place of residence

When specific conditions are met, you can have your place of residence in Jyväskylä and your Jyväskylä address registered as your permanent home address. The conditions include living in Finland for at least one year. Other requirements are related to your nationality (EU, EEA or Switzerland -countries, Nordic countries or other countries).

A place of residence is needed to be able to access the services that municipalities provide to their own inhabitants only. You sometimes also need a place of residence to be able to use services provided by state authorities, or to be granted financial benefits or support.

If you are not able to or wish not to register a municipality of residence you will be considered a temporary foreign resident. This means that you will not necessarily enjoy the same services as a person resident in the municipality (limitations in health care and social and welfare services, no possibility to apply for a Finnish ID card).

Extract from the population information system in Finland

After registration you will be issued a formal written Extract from the population information system in Finland. The extract states if you have been granted a Place of residence (Municipality of residence) in Jyväskylä.

In case a Place of residence has not been granted, you need to file a new registration at Maistraatti when your current employment or residence permit (depending which ends first) ends and you continue your stay in Finland.

Jyväskylä Register Office (maistraatti):

Address: Yliopistonkatu 28, PL 253, 40101 JYVÄSKYLÄ
Telephone: +358 71 874 0331
Telefax: +358 71 874 1421
Official e-mail address: info.sisa-suomi(at)maistraatti.fi
Open: Monday–Friday 9:00 a.m.–4:15 p.m.

 Further information: