Social security and health insurance

Please see the section Social security.

To apply for Finnish social security, please submit the Y77e form to Kela, the social security authority in Finland. International Staff Services will assisst you with the first application.

A written decision on the eligibility for the Finnish social security will be sent to you. Unfortunately, the decisions of Kela are only issued in the official languages of Finland (i.e. Finnish or Swedish). If you have difficulties to understand the decision’s language, please contact International Staff Services or Kela. Kela’s customers are entitled to interpreting services free of charge.

The eligibility for the Finnish social security is often approved based on your employment and is valid only for the duration of the employment you had when you first applied for the coverage. Therefore it is important that you remember to apply for the coverage again if your employment will be extended.

The length of Finnish social security coverage is stated in the written decision you will receive from Kela. If your decision states a fixed period with a starting date and an ending date, then the coverage will end at the ending date. If the decision only states the starting date for the coverage, then the decision has been made for an indefinite period i.e. it will end when you move out of Finland permanently.

If you have been approved to the Finnish social security you will receive a personal KELA card. By presenting your KELA card at pharmacies or many private medical clinics, you can get a direct, on-the-spot reimbursement for your costs. Note, that the Kela card does not show your period of coverage for the Finnish Social Security, so you need to check that from the written decision received from Kela. Pharmacies etc. may accept your Kela card even if your entitlement to the Finnish social security has expired, but it may be that the reimbursement will be withdrawn later. Therefore it is recommended to file a new application for the Finnish social security as soon as you know your stay in Finland will continue.

International Staff Services will assist you with the first application. Copies of employment contract, passport, EU-registration/Residence permit and a salary certificate will be enclosed in the first application. For the following applications you only need to enclose a copy of the new employment contract and a salary certificate.

Further information: