Immigration formalities

If you come from a country that is not a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you will usually need a permit to enter Finland.

A visa is intended for short-term stay (max 90 days), whereas a residence permit is for visits that exceed 90 days. Whether you will need a visa or a residence permit depends on the following matters:

  • Your citizenship
  • Duration of your stay
  • Capacity in which you intend to work in Finland
  • Your salary (in some cases)

Residence permits and visas

For most accurate and up-to-date information, please see: