Non-EU/EEA citizens

Citizens from countries outside EU/EEA usually need to obtain a visa or a residence permit before their arrival in Finland. You must initiate the application process yourself. The University of Jyväskylä cannot apply for the entry documents on your behalf.

A Schengen visa is an entry permit for short visits that do not exceed three months (90 days). Some countries are exempt from the visa requirement. If you are a citizen of such a country, you are allowed to work in Finland without a residence permit for the duration of your visa-free residing time. To apply for a visa or see if you can enter Finland free of visa, please see visa requirements.

  • Note! A Schengen visa allows the holder to travel freely within the Schengen countries for a maximum stay of up to 90 days in a six-month period. Please note that 90 days cannot be exceeded within this period and it's your responsibilility to check that the allowed days are not exceeded.

Residence permit (for a researcher or for an employed person) may be needed if you intend to live and work in Finland for longer than three months. A residence permit can be applied for at the Finnish embassies abroad. Please note that residence permit applications cannot be submitted to honorary consulates. More information on how to apply for a residence permit.

For a residence permit or visa you need a proof of your employment at the University of Jyväskylä. If you haven’t signed your employment contract yet, you must attach a formal invitation letter from the University of Jyväskylä to your residence permit / visa application. The invitation should include the following details:

  • Employee's name, date of birth, title
  • Duration of employment
  • Salary, other benefits, scholarships, stipends
  • Contact details of a contact person at the University of Jyväskylä

The fastest way to get a residence permit decision is to submit the application electronically. You can also submit the application to the Finnish Embassy in your home country. In case there is no Finnish Embassy in your home country, please contact the nearest Finnish Embassy.

Although the residence permit application can be submitted electronically, you must visit the Finnish Embassy in person to verify your identity and to present the original documents within one month. Your application will not be processed until you have visited the embassy. If you fail to visit the embassy within one month, your application will not be processed. Please note that the application processing fee will not be refunded.

Further information: