Nordic and EU/EEA citizens

Employees coming from the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) are allowed to arrive and work without residence permits or visas in Finland. They need to inform the local register office of their stay in Finland within a week of the arrival.

Citizens of the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit either. However, if you are staying in Finland for longer than three months (90 days) you must register your right to reside in Finland at the Immigration Office Service Point in Finland.

As a rule, a foreign citizen must carry a valid passport in order to enter Finland. Since Finland is one of the Schengen Agreement countries (2001), no border controls are required when travelling (flights included) from one country to another within the Schengen Area.

Nevertheless, citizens of the Schengen countries must have a passport or an internationally recognized official identity card during their stay in Finland. It is recommendable to take your passport because it is absolutely necessary in case you wish to travel outside EU, for example, to Russia, during your stay.

Related links: