Health insurances

National Health Insurance

If you have been enrolled with Finnish social security, you will be eligible for Finnish National Health Insurance and receive a so-called ‘Kela card’. By presenting your Kela card at pharmacies or many private medical clinics, you can get a direct at-the-spot reimbursement for your costs.

More information:

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) covers state-provided acute health care under the same conditions and at the same cost as for Finns. However, it does not cover private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. Neither does the EHIC cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.

Citizens of third countries: In case you are eligible for Finnish social security and you are planning to go abroad from Finland. You may order EHI-card that will grant you the state-provided acute health care services. Note! The EHI-card is not a travel insurance, therefore it will not cover luggage, cancellations etc.

More information:

Private health insurance

Private health insurance is recommended for all arriving staff members. It is suggested also for EU/EEA citizens because the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not an alternative to travel insurance.

The insurance should cover you at least in case of an accident or acute illness. As a temporary resident in Finland, you will receive acute treatment in a hospital in case of an emergency, but you will have to cover the expenses yourself. If you are not insured by the Finnish residence-based social security scheme, a doctor’s consultation at a municipal health centre or a consultation and treatment of a fractured limb at an out-patient clinic are expensive.

You are strongly advised to purchase a good medical, accident and travel insurance policy for yourself (and your family members) before your arrival in the University of Jyväskylä, because the Finnish insurance companies provide travel insurance only for permanent residents of Finland.

The University of Jyväskylä has negotiated together with other higher education institutes in Finland insurance with the company Marsh. Their insurance program SIP is primarily intended for students, but also staff members and their families are eligible for this insurance.

More information:

Work-related insurances

The University’s insurance covers staff at work, on their way to/from work and when travelling on business.

All staff members whose employment has continued nonstop for at least one month are insured by the University of Jyväskylä. In Finland the employer has many insurances for work-related issues. The University’s insurance covers staff at work, on their way to/from work and when travelling on business:

  • property insurance
  • casualty insurance
  • statutory pension insurance
  • statutory traffic insurance
  • liabiilty insurance
  • directors and officers insurance
  • patient insurance
  • statutory workers compensation insurance (accidents at work)
  • universities group accident insurance
  • statutory unemployment insurance
  • statutory group life assurance for employees
  • travel insurance

The insurance provided by the University of Jyväskylä does not cover leisure time or any family members. Therefore, taking out a private health insurance for you and your family members is strongly recommended.

For further details:

Grant and scholarship recipients

If you are not employed by the University of Jyväskylä (i.e. you do not receive salary from the University, but receive a grant or scholarship) and do not intend to immigrate to Finland on a permanent basis, you should obtain insurance in your country of permanent residence.

If you have received a grant or scholarship from Finland for longer than four months, the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution (Mela) is responsible for your statutory pension insurance (MYEL), occupational accident insurance (MATA) and group life insurance. The coverage of MATA occupational accident insurance can be complemented with voluntary non-occupational or leisure-time accident insurance. Please note that leisure-time accident insurance does not cover illnesses.

Further information: