Renewal of residence permits

If your residence permit is expiring in the middle of your employment or grant period or at the same time with your employment, file an application to extend your residence permit as early as possible.

The University Service Centre HR will issue you a certificate of (new) employment/JYU Grant to be attached to your new residence permit application.

File the application for the residence permit extension at Immigration office's electronic Enter Finland system and book an appointment to identify yourself at the Immigration office's Service Point. Bring the HR-coordinator responsible for prepareing your employment/JYU Grant the certificate of pendency (Vierilläolotodistus) from the Immigration office.

You are allowed to continue working/staying in Finland during the pendency of the resident permit extension if you have filed the application, visited the Immigration office and granted the certificate of pendency before your previous residence permit ends.

Remember to show your new residence permit card to the Service Center HR after it has been granted, since the employer needs to file a copy of it by law.

If you live in Finland with your family, please pay attention to the income requirements also when extending your residence – especially in cases when the number of family members has increased during your stay in Finland.

Further information: