Grant and Scholarship recipients

A grant or scholarship recipient, ie. grant researcher is a person who is conducting research with a personal research grant or a scholarship granted by, for example, a foundation or a University for research that is conducted at the University of Jyväskylä. A grant researcher is not in an employment relationship with the University; therefore, there are some special guidelines that should be taken into consideration. If you are at the University of Jyväskylä on a grant or scholarhip, please familiarize yourself with the information and links below.

Grant researchers who do not intend to immigrate to Finland on a permanent basis, should obtain insurance in their own country of permanent residence.

Mela insurance and Finnish social security

Grant researchers receiving a grant or scholarship from Finland for longer than four months and who are covered by the Finnish social security system, should apply to the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution (Mela) for statutory pension insurance (MYEL), occupational accident insurance (MATA) and group life insurance. The coverage of MATA occupational accident insurance can be complemented with voluntary non-occupational or leisure-time accident insurance. Please note that leisure-time accident insurance does not cover illnesses.

Further information:

Tax treatment of grants

See the YouTube video on Tax treatment of artists' and freelancers' income and grants by Vero.fi. The presentation material is also available at vero.fi