Rector Matti Manninen
Full name: Matti Jussi Manninen
Birthdate: 31 October 1950
Marital Status: Married
Present position and address:
- Rector, University of Jyväskylä
- Professor, Department of Physics, University of Jyväskylä
P.O. Box 35, FI-40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
Executive Assistant to the Rector
Tel. +358 400 247 435, firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Technology 1978, M.Sc. 1974, Department of Technical Physics, Helsinki University of Technology
Appointments in Finland
- 2012 - present: rector
- 1997-present: Professor.
- 1988-1997: Associate professor, University of Jyväskylä.
- 1973-1988: Several research associate positions at Helsinki University of Technology, University of Helsinki, and Academy of Finland.
Appointments outside Finland
- 1993-94: Visiting professor, Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1984-86: Visiting Scientist, Cornell University, USA
- 1981-82: Research associate, Swiss Institute for Nuclear Research and University of Zürich, Switzerland
- 1979-81: Research associate, NORDITA, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1978-79: Research associate, Michigan Technological University and Argonne NationalLaboratory, USA
Undergraduate level lecturer:
Basic Physics (Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism, Modern Physics), Quantum Mechanics, Solid State Physics, Nuclear Physics, Mathematical Methods for Physics.
Postgraduate level lecturer:
Few-Body Quantum Mechanics, Many-Body Physics, Theoretical methods of Condensed Matter Physics, Electron Spectroscopy, Surface Physics. Supervision of 19 PhD theses and numerous MSc theses.
Theoretical condensed matter physics on boson and fermion condensates, quantum dots, and atomic clusters. Earlier research topics included surface physics, defects in solids and positron annihilation in solids.
- Vice rector for research and infrastructure 2010-2012.
- Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Science 1996-2009.
- Head of the Department of Physics, University of Jyväskylä 1993-1996.
Positions of trust, prizes and recognitions
- Academy of Finland, Finnish Research Infrastuctures (FIRI), member 2012-2016
- Universities Finland UNIFI, member of the board 2012-
- Chairman of board of The Finnish National Electronic Library, FinELib 2013-
- Chairman of board of Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics (NORDITA) 2005-2006, member of the board 2002-2010.
- Member of the International advisory board of the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems 2007-2013.
- Member of the International advisory board of the Institute of Solid State Research of Forschungzentrum Jülich 2002-2004.
- Chairman of the Finnish Physical Society 1999-2001.
- Member of the Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters, 1998.
- Outstanding referee of the American Physical Society, 2008.
- Fellow of the Institut of Physics, UK, 2001.
- Fellow of the Finnish Physical Society, 2011.
- Magnus Ehrnrooth prize for physics 1995.
Summary of publications
More than 200 scientific publications (ISI Web of Knowledge).
Total number of citations 6250, h-index 42 (ISI Web of Knowledge).
See also full list of publications.