Economic and business history, study of strategies
Directors: professor Juha-Antti Lamberg and professor Jari Ojala
Jyväskylä group of economic and business history (JGEB) combines expertise from two different schools: Department of History and Ethnology (HELA) and Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics (JSBE). Building on research expertise in the two schools makes JGEB an innovative platform for research in the intersection of economic and business history, economics, strategy and entrepreneurship. Research topics of the group include theoretical and methodological issues in economic and business history, history of living conditions and economic growth, history of labor and technology, and management history. Members of the group are active contributors in international research networks of their fields and present their work in selective profile conferences (EBHA, IEHA, AoM, EGOS, and BHC). JGEB’s main publication outlets are international high-quality journals and book series in the fields of economic and business history, economics, management and organizations studies, and innovation studies. Collectively, the group organizes workshops and seminars on biannual basis. Moreover, the group actively participate both under- and post-graduate education. Most of the courses taught are organized for both students from HELA and JSBE. An important group of students are the ones that aim to be history teachers; among the topics they will teach in schools include also economics.
- When industrial clusters stop growing: Reverse path dependence and negative entropy, funded by the Academy of Finland, leader: professor Juha-Antti Lamberg
- Halo! Understanding the historical construction of success and failure of large telecommunication firms; funded by the Foundation of the Finnish Industrial Culture, leader: professor Juha-Antti Lamberg
- Modelling Finnish Economic Growth 1500 - 2020, leaders: professor Jari Ojala and professor Ilkka Nummela
- The agrarian society of early modern Finland: living standards, inequality and growth, leaders professor Ilkka Nummela and Miikka Voutilainen
- Structures sub-group in Center of Excellence in Historical Research titled “History of Society”, funded by the Academy of Finland, leader professor Jari Ojala and adjunct professor Jari Eloranta (Appalachian State University, NC, USA)
- Maritime trade and labor over 300 years, leaders prof. Jari Ojala and Jaakko Pehkonen
- Driving Forces of Democracy: Patterns of Democratization in Finland and Sweden, 1890 – 2020. Leader: Professor Petri Karonen.
- History of Finnish Innovation Policy, funded by Aalto University, leader Olli Turunen
Juha-Antti Lamberg, Professor
Ilkka Nummela, Professor
Jari Ojala, Professor
Petri Karonen, Professor
Jari Eloranta, professor (docent), Appalachian State University, NC, USA
Jaakko Pehkonen, Professor (JSBE)
Kimmo Alajoutsijärvi, Professor (JSBE)
Kalle Pajunen, Professor (JSBE)
Heli Valtonen, University Researcher
Panu Nykänen, University Researcher
Jorma Wilmi, University Researcher
Juha Kansikas, University Lecturer (JSBE)
Mirva Peltoniemi, University Researcher (JSBE)
Pasi Nevalainen, Ph.D.
Timo Särkkä, Ph.D.
Miikka Voutilainen, Ph.D. Student
Olli Turunen, Ph.D. Student
Riina Turunen, Ph.D. Student
Pirita Frigren, Ph.D. Student
Jarmo Seppälä, Ph.D. Student
Jouko Wacklin, Ph.D. Student
Nooa Nykänen, Research Assistant