Application for Degree Certification

For students who wish to graduate in the spring semester 2019

  • Degree applications can be submitted until the end of the spring semester on 31 July 2019
  • If you wish to receive your degree certificate during June, please submit your degree application by week 24
  • Those who submit their application towards the end of June or in July may not receive their certificates until early August. However, the certificate can still be dated for July if all the courses (including the thesis) are in the register by 31 July.
  • Please note: if your study right is ending at the end of the academic year, i.e. on 31 July 2019, but some of your courses or your thesis will not be registered by the end of July, please apply for an extension to your study right well in advance. In order to be able to apply for the degree, you need have a valid study right and be registered for attendance.

The date on which the degree has been applied for is the earliest date that the degree can be granted on, provided that all the studies required for the degree, including the thesis, have been completed and registered.

You are ready to graduate after you have

Instructions for completing the degree application form (Bachelor's and Master's degrees)

These instructions  answer the most common questions regarding the application for a degree in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. If you encounter a problem you are not able to solve yourself, please do not hesitate to contact the Faculty Office (humtdk(a)jyu.fi). We will be happy to help you!

You can apply for the degree either via Korppi or by using a paper form. Instructions on how to apply for the degree via Korppi can be found on the Digital Services website.

There is a separate form for applying for the Bachelor's or the Master's degree. 

Before you deliver your application form to the Faculty Office, make sure that all the study modules that you wish to include in your degree have an overall grade and that these grades are recorded on your transcript. If there are grades missing, please contact the departmental coordinator of the department in question.

Please note that if you are eligible for the Finnish financial study aid, the month when you return your degree application will be considered as a part of your study time only if the degree is granted on the 18th day of the passing month or later. If the graduation takes place before the 18th, you won't be entitled to receive the study aid in that month.

You can return the degree application to the Faculty Office (OPK116) or send it by post to Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, PO Box 35, 40014 University of Jyväskylä. Please note that the original application form is required and thus we cannot accept applications sent merely as email attachments.

For further information and instructions, please contact the faculty office humtdk(a)jyu.fi.  


  1. Identification
  2. Degree conferred
  3. Studies included
  4. Maturity examination
  5. Language and communication studies
  6. Other studies
  7. Total of credit units
  8. Duration of the application process

1. Identification

If you don't have a Finnish identification code, your date of birth will be enough.

2. Degree

Below the personal information, you are asked to state the Faculty, your previous degree, the degree you are applying for etc. If you apply for the Master's degree and your previous (Bachelor's) degree is not from the University of Jyväskylä, you should send a copy of the degree certificate of your earlier degree to humtdk@jyu.fi or bring a copy to the Faculty office, OPK116.

3. Studies included

The basic rule is that all the study modules completed in one subject are recorded in successive order, each on its own row.

Major subject

On the first row, write the name of your major subject in its present form (or abbreviation of your Master's programme), then Advanced Studies and Subject & Basic Studies (the latter are not necessary in Master's programmes). In the section "Grade", mark the overall grade given for each module. This, too, should be indicated in your transcript.

Minor subjects

Minor studies are marked in the same way as the major studies. In the section "Credit units" you are asked to give the total of the credits included in the completed study modules. If you have, for example, completed all Basic Studies but only some Subject Studies (less than 20 credits), you should only indicate the number of credits included in Basic Studies. Your credits for Subject Studies will be added to the section "Other Studies".

List your minor subjects according to the number of credits you have completed. For example, if you have one minor subject in which you have completed both Subject and Basic Studies and two other minor subjects in which you have completed only Basic Studies, start with the subject in which you have both Subject and Basic Studies and after that, list the other two subjects.

If you have completed at least 20 credits in a minor subject, these can be listed as minor studies too, even if the whole study module is not complete. In this case, please mark the name of the subject in its present form and, in the section Study Module, mark "(partly)". Mark down also the number of credits as stated on your transcript, but leave the grade section blank.

If you want to include study modules completed outside the University of Jyväskylä in your degree, give the name of the institution in the section "University, if not the University of Jyväskylä" (it says "to be completed at the Faculty", but you may disregard this instruction).

Studies completed abroad

If you have studied abroad via a University of Jyväskylä exchange programme or agreement, this can be mentioned in your certificate. Use the blank lines in the section "Major subject and minor subjects" to give information as to when, and in which university and country you have studied. If your transcript does not clearly confirm this information, please enclose a copy of the certificate of your studies abroad.

4. Maturity examination (writing test)

The maturity examination is normally credited under the subtitle "General and other studies" on your transcript. On the application form it is must be marked in its separate section, below the subject combinations. You are asked to give the date when you took the exam and the language in which you completed it.

5. Communication and Language Studies

Communication and Language Studies must be written down in the section reserved for language courses. If the  voluntary/additional language courses do not fit in the section, a separate list can also be presented. In the degree certification the communication and language courses are counted together as one total amount of language studies.

6. Other studies

If you still have studies on your transcript that are not marked anywhere else on the form, you can add them to the section 'other studies'. Any individual courses that are not included in a completed study module, and Subject and Advanced Studies that are only partly completed can also be added here. Note however, that if you have at least 20 study points completed from a same study entity, they can be listed as a minor subject. (See 4. Minor subjects.)

If the total amount of credits listed in the sections "Major subject and Minor subjects" together with "Language and Communication Studies" is more than the required minimum (ie. for the Bachelor's Degree 180 credits and for the Master's Degree 120 credits), you do not need to include credits in this section. If you do not wish to include these extra credits in your degree. It is of course possible to include additional studies to the degree if you wish to do so.

7. Total of credit units

In this section you should give the total sum of all the credits included in your degree. There is no limit to the number of credits that can be included in the degree, but for the Bachelor's degree, it is not recommended to exceed the required 180 ECTS credits very much as the studies included to the Bachelor's degree cannot be included in the Master's degree later.

8. Duration of the application process

Most students wish to receive their degree certificate as soon as possible after submitting their applications. We are well aware of this, and do our best to process all applications without any unnecessary delay. However, be prepared to give us one or two weeks to work on your degree. We are often quicker than that, but especially at the end of the year and in May, the process may take more time. If you need to have your degree handled very quickly, please inform us beforehand.