- Economic History
My research interests include industrial and business history, development of economic institutions, economic geography and industrial organization in the long-term period. Specifically, I’m interested in the economic history of Russia and Soviet Union and development of industrial clusters. In my dissertation project “State Control and the Evolution of Industrial Clusters: Industrial Districts in Russian Economy 1860 - 1990” (working title), I study the development of key industrial districts in the Tsarist Russia and Soviet Union. The aim of the study is to explain how the dynamics of geographically concentrated industrial firms and organizations are affected by extractive economic institutions and to better understand the constraints imposed by socialist economy on development of clustered firms. The estimated time of my public defending is in spring 2019.
Besides my dissertation, I’m participating in a side-project studying the collapse of economic systems and factors of economic decline.
- Jyväskylä Group of Economic History and Strategy, University of Jyväskylä
- FRRESH - The Finnish-Russian network in Russian and Eurasian Studies in the field of social sciences and humanities, Aleksanteri-Institute, University of Helsinki
- Member of the Editorial Board, Tekniikan Waiheita (Finnish Quarterly for the History of Technology)
- Master’s Thesis award by the Finnish Association of Russian and East European Studies, 2016
- Master’s Thesis award by the Faculty of Humanities (University of Jyväskylä), 2015
- Honorary Mention in Master’s Thesis competition by the Finnish Association of Strategic Leadership, 2016