Faculty of Information Technology - Motebu

Practical Information

last modified Aug 19, 2010 12:15 PM
In this section you will find important information concerning practical matters regarding studying and living in Jyväskylä.

Student life and support services

The University of Jyväskylä offers extensive support services for the international students. Further information on the services and other practical matters mentioned below can be found at the website of the International Office:

  • Housing
  • Visas, residence permits
  • Arrival (how to get to Jyväskylä, registration, arrival service)
  • Support services (Student Tutor, Friendship Family Programme, Student Union)
  • Health care
  • Financial aid
  • Students with Special Needs
  • Life in Finland (weather, culture)
  • City of Jyväskylä
  • Leisure time activities
  • Links

For an overview of what university studies are like in Finland, please visit   http://kielikeskus.jyu.fi/kookit06/studyskills/instructions.htm.

Life in Finland

For a view of our culture, lifestyle, country and plenty more, take a virtual tour on the following sites:

Costs and financing of studies

The programme is currently delivered free of charge to students, i.e. there are no tuition fees. However, the membership fee for the Student Union is compulsory for all undergraduate (Bachelor's and Master's) students. The membership fee (approx. 90€) entitles students, for example, to use the services of the Student Health Centres.

In addition to this, an international student must be able to pay for his/her food, housing and study materials.

Here are some examples of the basic monthly living expenses in Finland and Jyväskylä:

  • Rent: €180 - 240
  • Food: €150-200
  • Transport: €50
  • Leisure, other personal costs: €150

In total you need to budget around €500-700 monthly for your basic expenses. In addition, you need to prepare yourself for any unanticipated expenses (medical expenses, travelling etc.)

Please notice that there are no scholarship programmes for international students at JyU and you should not count on getting a job to finance your studies. Therefore, you need to have a clear plan on how to finance your studies and living already before starting your studies.  


Citizens of EU and EEA countries are covered by the National Health Insurance Scheme administrated by the Social Insurance Institution (KELA). To be eligible for these benefits, you need to bring with you an European Health Insurance Card from the local social security office in your home country.

Students coming outside the EU or EEA
are required to have a private medical insurance to cover for all the costs related to the treatment of sudden illnesses, accidents and accidental death. The University of Jyväskylä is not responsible for any payments or arrangements.


Contact details

Agora yhteystietoihin

Ms Niina Ormshaw
International Coordinator

Faculty of Information Technology
P.O.Box 35 (Agora)
FI-40014 University of Jyväskylä

Tel: +358 14 260 4602 / +358 50 4432 360 (mobile)
Fax: +358 14 260 2209
E-mail: international-info@it.jyu.fi