The Department of Biological and Environmental Science
- Nobel Laureate Lecture on 10th of December at 13:00 at Minnansali
- Thinking about studying science in Jyväskylä, Finland? Get your Master's and you can achieve your ambitions!
- Be part of the Jyväskylä Winter School of Ecology and apply now!
- Get to know our Faculty: YouTube videos from Faculty of Mathematics and Science
The Department of Biological and Environmental Science offers high-quality teaching and is founded on excellent research activities. The Department is one of the largest at the University of Jyväskylä, and consists of four major educational and research divisions:
Students at the Department of Biological and Environmental Science receive training at the basic level in all areas, and then tailor their advanced studies within their major subject area for completion of B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. degrees. The Department is home to many non-Finnish students and staff, and teaching is done in both Finnish and English (see Studies). Additionally, we offer the International Masters Programme in Aquatic Sciences and participate in other multi-disciplinary International Masters Programmes: Nanoscience, Renewable Energy and Development and International Cooperation.
- Center of Excellence in Biological Interactions Research (2012-2017)
- Centre of Excellence in Evolutionary Research (2006-2011)
by the Finnish Academy of Sciences. For more details about these and other research activities within each section, see each of the divisions. For a complete list of the publications see the pages Research and Publications.